Monday, February 1, 2010

Power Of the Void Story

This story created some kind of void when people were picking out papers from the box. I would call this story the lottery v.s the tradition because people who lived in the town had to do the lottery from the black box and it's traditional for the people. I thought something bad will going to happen because Mrs. Hutchinson said it's not fair when she got the paper with black dot on it. I was very curious about next story. When I got the mystery paper, I wanted to open it because I wanted to see what was in it. I thoung it was the next story because the papers that we read before didn't tell us about the conclusion. I followed the instruction and I didn't open the paper untill 5p.m because I could wait untill the time and it didn't really matter to me that when I have to open it. I didn't really understand about there culture and tradition because people are throwing rocks at the person who win the lottery and one of the family member must pick the lottery even they don't like to. When I read the end of the story, I had questions (why did they have to throw rocks at her?, what is the actual tradition?, what is the point for throwing rocks?)and I wasn't satisfied with the ending because people are throwing rocks at the person. My prediciton was kind of correct because I thought something bad will going to happen because person who won the lottery didn't really liked it. However, I didn't know that the people were going to throw rocks at the person. The author might leave these voids in the story because the author might wanted the readers to ask questions and predict what will going to happen next. No title and author information actually made me get attention to the book. No ending made me ask questions like how will it end? Text clues and foreshadowing throughout made me feel curious about the story and can predict what will be happening to the story and the characters. Mystery paper made me feel to open the paper but I could wait untill the time with my patience. Delayed ending made me feel little bit uncomfortable because I was eager to read the conclusion and see how it ends. By having these experiences I could feel what people might feel when there are void between musics, books, dialogs and many other things. Also we get to understand about power of the void deeply and have feelings about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment